Author Topic: Did you "know" or have an intuition before going into labor?  (Read 4629 times)

Offline magnolia

• *Women*
Did you "know" or have an intuition before going into labor?
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:41:37 PM »
Just wondering if you had a "feeling" or "intuition" about when you would go into labor, beyond just getting close to that time date-wise?

I may or may not be wondering if there's a reason I suddenly feel the need to pack a (more extensive) hospital bag, buy a CD player so I can listen to hypnobabies in the hospital, and read the Bradley book.... fast.... beyond just paranoia...

na-nners

Re: Did you "know" or have an intuition before going into labor?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »
In hindsight, sorta. I knew that I had until 42 weeks before I was "overdue" and that a FTM usually went 41+1 (I think)..but around 38w5d I started to have random crampings that weren't there before. Then I felt this peace in calling off work and saying I was out until after my mat leave starting 39w, even though I was insistant that I would work til the end.

I had more of a peace about labor, and knowing it was soon.

Offline cavalier

• *Women*
  • The Midwife
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
Nope. My mom went to 44 weeks with me, so I assumed I would go to 42+. My water broke at 37.2, went into labor 37.4. Total surprise!
Ella Grace, born at home, June 2009
^|^  ^|^  Charlotte and Catherine, 12 weeks, Oct 2010
    ^|^      Samuel, 9 weeks, Jan 2012
Hannah Sophia, born at home, November 2013

Offline Joelle

• *Women*
  • Habitually loses thermometers
    • Chart
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:40:22 AM »
Yes, I did. I started having weird stomach upset issues about 5 days before going into labor, and the day before going into labor I got my brother to take some pics of DH and me with my belly at a studio. Just barely in time! :D The next day I had bloody show followed by sporadic contractions all day that gradually got more regular until I was in active labor by evening.

My mom went into labor 2-3 wks early with me, and she was born 3 wks early too, so I guess I followed suit with a 10-day early baby.

And hey, it's always better to be prepared than not!  ;D

Wendy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 04:28:16 AM »
Nope.  I had been REALLY hoping to go into labor soon, but had no idea how long I'd have to wait.

Offline swedishmaiden

• Assistant Admin
  • *Women*
    • My Chart
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:15:02 AM »
With Jael, I thought she might come early because I'd been having bloody show for a week. But that wasn't really intuition.

And with Judah, I'd been having a lot of Braxton Hicks and an episode of false labor, so again, I thought he would be early and he was. But still not really intuition as much as guessing.

Danae (26) & DH (30), Jael (4), and Judah (2)

Offline aliantha

• *Women*
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:05:12 AM »
I "knew" I'd be early - I just had that feeling all the way through the pregnancy.  Hah.  By the time I did go into labour, I was pretty much convinced that I'd be  the first woman ever to be pregnant forever.
Joanna (30) - DH (33)
Ps 139:13,16

~Andrea~

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 07:48:45 AM »
I sort of had a feeling, but I think maybe it was wishful thinking.

With my last pregnancy, at 37+3 weeks I had a crazy evening of lots of bloody show, contractions, and even called my m/w because I thought I might need her to come if things were going to continue. They did eventually stop, but the following week I just felt "off." I kind of ignored my head, thinking it was wishful thinking, and put off doing some cleaning (hah). The day after I had some really strange feelings, my water broke.

With the previous pregnancy, I kind of figured I might go a little early, which I did. But, I was totally mentally unprepared for having my last baby when I did (at 38+3).

TalanaR

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:33:35 AM »
I was feeling a bit crampy on for a little for a few days before, and that night for dinner we ordered Chinese and I had TWO fortune cookies and BOTH said "You will soon be the center of attention." Now that's not intuition, but it got me thinking, and that night pre-labor started and she was born the next day.

Offline silverplurimi

• *Women*
  • Sarah & Stephen ~ Est. June 23, 2007
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
My *actual* labor was started for me with P-gel and AROM, but I wanted to come on and say that I was convinced I would go early because I had contrax from 35 weeks until her birth (at 40w3d).  But... I didn't.  Also, I had several days where I really thought I *knew* something was coming but... it didn't.  That was really frustrating for me!

kjw83

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »
I`ve been wondering about this too! I`m 35 1/2 weeks with my 4th, and I`ve never went into labor on my own, induced with AROM and a csection. This time I`m having ALOT of braxton hicks and real contractions, and what feels like pain around my cervix. I`ve always had alot of braxton hicks along, and contractions at the end, but this just "feels" different somehow. I have this urge to get everything done, and I still have a month til my due date. I keep thinking I should go ahead and pack my bag for the hospital but it seems to be rushing it to do it this early! Is it just wishful thinking?!

Offline lelebelle

• *Women*
  • Leanna
    • My Chart
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »
I knew it would be soon based on some tummy upsets, moodiness, and a tiny bit of spotting, but I was surprised when it actually happened! I woke up in the middle of the night, got up to pee, and my water had partially broken. I was in shock for a few minutes until my first contraction hit.
Jacob + Leanna (04-14-07) + August Koen (09-08-09) + Eve Aria Helen (01-02-12) + Jonas Mario (05-19-14)

Offline aliantha

• *Women*
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
Also, I had several days where I really thought I *knew* something was coming but... it didn't.  That was really frustrating for me!

*nods vigorously*  Frustration really isn't a strong enough word for it!

Jill

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »
Nope. My entire pregnancy I thought I was goingto have her in the 38th week for some reason. She was 10 days late!

Offline magnolia

• *Women*
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
I am going to answer my own question here in case anyone looks back on this in the future! I posted this after going into preterm labor a week or so earlier. In this case, fortunately, my intuition was wrong! I think I was mainly (understandably) stressed out from my experience and scared about going into labor! After 6 weeks of bedrest and medication to control my contractions, I made it to 36 weeks, at which point I was positive I would go into the labor the day I stopped my medication and bedrest. Nope, wrong again! I wound up going till 39 weeks, at which point I was convinced that I would never go into labor ;) So the answer, for me, is no :)

MrsCorey

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 06:08:09 PM »
I'll just say, so far my intuition that I will not go into labor *tonight*, or anytime soon for the last few weeks and I've been right.  Not because I think I'm "gonna be pregnant forever" but bc I just dont think my body's ready, I will be really surprised if I go into labor before Sunday.

triscuit

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 06:41:06 PM »
I didn't answer this question initially because I was on break, but for me it was a BIG FAT NOOOOOOOOOO....

I was actually complaining and complaining to DH that I would never go into labor, there was not baby coming, I felt like an idiot for setting up the crib, and on and on. And he was like "okk... yeah..." and then 2 hours later my water broke and labor started about 10 min later. I think Logan heard me and gave the ol' bag of waters a little poke to tell me... "yep mom! I'm coming!!"

MrsCorey

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
I didn't answer this question initially because I was on break, but for me it was a BIG FAT NOOOOOOOOOO....

I was actually complaining and complaining to DH that I would never go into labor, there was not baby coming, I felt like an idiot for setting up the crib, and on and on. And he was like "okk... yeah..." and then 2 hours later my water broke and labor started about 10 min later. I think Logan heard me and gave the ol' bag of waters a little poke to tell me... "yep mom! I'm coming!!"

so you're saying I'm in the perfect mindset to go into labor tonight?!?  ;) ;D

triscuit

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »

so you're saying I'm in the perfect mindset to go into labor tonight?!?  ;) ;D
Sure!!!

Offline thehappyNP

• *Women*
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »
I kinda did have an intuition with this pregnancy. All throughout pregnancy, I was pretty sure I would be about 38 weeks when I went into labor. My water broke the morning I turned 38 weeks. Buuuut, the night before my water broke, I was VERY moody, and definitely had the "this baby will never ever come" mentality. :)
My blog: www.veganyumminess.com
Lindsay (26) & Jonathan (27)

Offline Danna

• *Women*
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »
I don't know if I would call it intuition or laziness. I had a 3 day weekend and was due back at work for a long week (working 6 of the 7). I told DD all Sun you can come tomorrow and make me happy not to go back to work. An hour after going to bed that morning (I worked nights in those days) I got up to pee and my water broke.

With DS I was worried I was going to go into labor the weekend of the 4th while staying at the hospital with DD. I went for my Thur appointment on the 14 having lost my mucus plug that morning and having mild random contractions. I was sure the time was near but lost heart when the doctor said no progress at all. The next day the contractions became more constant and a little more intense. By the next day I went to the hospital and had made it to 2 CM. I wouldn't call that intuition.

Offline adebtortomercy

• *Women*
    • chart
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Nope.

I have no pregnancy/birth intuition, it seems. With our first, I thought nothing was wrong, but we lost him/her.  With subsequent pregnancies, I always seem to think something's wrong when everything's fine.  I never "just know" what the result of a HPT is going to be, except for when I've waited until 18 DPO.  And my water breaking with Gemma totally caught me by surprise, even though, at 40w 3d, I was anxious for her to come.
12.15.09 {we miss you}
12.7.10   Our precious Gem!
12.26.12 Ruth Caroline

emim05

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 07:50:42 PM »
Nope. i was induced at 37 1/2 weeks for pre-e. I had 3 hours from my dr's appt to go home, eat something, pack, and get myself and husband back by 6 to be induced.
I'm almost 34 weeks now and I have no idea what will happen this time. I hope God allows for a 100% natural labor and birth.