Author Topic: Positive Birth Affirmations  (Read 2667 times)

girlonfire

Positive Birth Affirmations
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
So DH and I have just finished doing our birth classes. We did a particular course called CalmBirth, where the focus is on using your breathing to get into a state of deep relaxation during contractions (or "waves", as we're now supposed to call them).
Part of the course also talked about replacing negative ideas/stories we've heard about birth with positive ones. One idea was to write out positive birth affirmations and stick them around our house, as this will help us focus on the birth being a positive experience.
I did that last night, using verses from the Bible to create some of my "affirmations".

Here's the ones I have currently stuck around my house:
- God made my body especially to give birth.
- My baby will be born in God's perfect timing.
- I do not have the Spirit of fear or timidity, but the Spirit of power.
- I will not fear - God is always with me.
- The uterus and the way it works is God's amazing design.
- As the flower opens to new life, so will my body.
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Can you suggest any others?

Offline Michele123

• *Women*
  • Aug 21, 2004
    • chart
Positive Birth Affirmations
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »
I love those!  I'll have to think and if I can come up with others, I'll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me-32, DH-32
Married since Aug 2004
TTC since Nov 2007

first BFP Jun 4, 2011!!!  Anastasia Kara born 2/14/2012
2nd BFP, unmedicated, Sept 19, 2013

My Blog

triscuit

Re: Positive Birth Affirmations
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
Yes I had several although don't know where my list is now. But what I would do is read the birth stories in Ina May's guide to childbirth and if something in the birth story kind of jumped out at me for a positive statement then I would write it down and use it. Then each night I would sort of do a relaxed meditation (nothing formal, just something I kind of came up with on my own) while I was sitting indian style (<-- helps open your pelvis) and focus on the statement. There are the ones I mentioned in my birth story when I posted it here:
  • Come on down baby, move me open. (I remember thinking/saying this one a lot during labor)
  • There is no such thing as failure in birth. (From Jill's Gentle Transitions blog!!)
  • Let loose and let go (This one too I used in labor a lot)
  • I will have a child whose passage into this world will be loving
  • Focus on slowing and deepening the breaths

na-nners

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:04:25 AM »
I don't really know if it's a one-liner type affirmation, but I did think
"this pain is productive, not destructive, you aren't dying, you can do this"

I also kept thinking about how women were designed to do this, used to do it all the time with out pain meds, and I can do it too.

Joanna

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 09:23:57 AM »
I didn't have any real affirmations but after particularly painful contractions, I would whisper to myself "I'm okay, I'm okay" as to remind myself that I survived the contraction and I can survive more!

Offline Joelle

• *Women*
  • Habitually loses thermometers
    • Chart
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
I didn't have any affirmations either; but I do remember thinking Phil. 4:13, and praying that I could do it.

girlonfire

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
Thought of another one today:
"What seems unexpected to me, God has known all along"

Offline magnolia

• *Women*
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »
--Each contraction brings me one step closer to meeting my baby.  (love this one!)
--God is protecting me and my baby.
--I am secure and loved.
--My body was designed perfectly to deliver this baby. (or, God designed my body perfectly to deliver this baby.)
--This is a beautiful pain. (because it's productive and, like number one, bringing me one step closer to meeting my baby!)

More as I think of them! Good idea for a thread!

triscuit

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:12:04 PM »
I forgot about the PAIN one like Nadine said, we learned it in our birthing class

P- Purposeful A-Anticipated (you feel a contraction coming on) I- Errrr... now I forget what I is..... N- NORMAL!!! :) I repeated that all to myself.

Offline lelebelle

• *Women*
  • Leanna
    • My Chart
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:44:40 PM »
I know this sounds kind of silly, but one of the thoughts that brought me the most comfort during labor was, "That's one less contraction that I have to feel!" Knowing that each and every contraction was being productive, and knowing that each one was truly one less, soooo helped keep my thoughts positive!

Ohh, also, John 16:21 is great! "A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world."
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:47:02 PM by lelebelle »
Jacob + Leanna (04-14-07) + August Koen (09-08-09) + Eve Aria Helen (01-02-12) + "Cat Stevens" (EDD 05-07-14)

Offline aliantha

• *Women*
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 03:39:36 AM »
I used the Jesus Prayer to help keep my breathing under control, for relaxation during pregnancy and during contractions - the first half of it as I breathed in and the second half as I breathed out.  For the last couple of weeks of pregnancy I tried to remind myself constantly that God knew the date and time of both the beginning and end of labour even if I didn't - not that it made the waiting any easier!
Joanna (30) - DH (33)
Ps 139:13,16

Offline cavalier

• *Women*
  • The Midwife
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 05:37:47 AM »
I forgot about the PAIN one like Nadine said, we learned it in our birthing class

P- Purposeful A-Anticipated (you feel a contraction coming on) I- Errrr... now I forget what I is..... N- NORMAL!!! :) I repeated that all to myself.

I- intermittent
Ella Grace, born at home, June 2009
^|^  ^|^  Charlotte and Catherine, 12 weeks, Oct 2010
    ^|^      Samuel, 9 weeks, Jan 2012
Hannah Sophia, born at home, November 2013

Offline thehappyNP

• *Women*
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 06:01:58 AM »
I love all of these! Can't think of any to add yet, but I will have to print this list off and put this in the hospital bag for several months down the road... :)
My blog: www.veganyumminess.com
Lindsay (26) & Jonathan (27)

Offline swedishmaiden

• Assistant Admin
  • *Women*
    • My Chart
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 08:12:22 AM »

I- intermittent
I hadn't seen this acronym, but the intermittent is definitely one thought I was clinging to - if I get through this one, I'll have a break. ;)

Danae (26) & DH (30), Jael (4), and Judah (2)

jlcak

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »
Thanks for starting this, Jess! Great stuff, everyone! I'm going to compile all of these and make sure to put them in my hospital bag!

The one I know I want my DH and support person to keep saying is "God designed your body to do this, you CAN do this!"

I'll have to incorporate some of the others!

Thanks!

Offline adebtortomercy

• *Women*
    • chart
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
John 16:21 is great! "A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world."
this verse . . . It is SO true, and means so much more to me now than it ever did before giving birth!
12.15.09 {we miss you}
12.7.10   Our precious Gem!
12.26.12 Ruth Caroline

Offline Stephanie

• CFPN Founder
  • *Women*
  • ~Stephanie~
    • stephanie.k.berman
    • My Chart
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »
Just stumbled across this and thought it might be a good list.  :)